Thursday 15 August 2013

Ulverston

King Street. 
Market Street was closed for the weekly outdoor market, although there are nowhere near as many stalls as there used to be, which lined both sides of the street. 
The other end of Market Street. Note the busker on the right. 
Another view of Market Street.  

A recent shop opening has been 'Heavenly Scent.'
We retired for lunch (and a beer) at the Stan Laurel Inn. 
Anyone for Greek olives?
The Deli counter at the indoor market. 

The Laurel and Hardy statue.
The Coronation Hall, which is also the Town Hall and an entertainments venue.

Glaxo are the town's biggest employers. 

2 comments:

  1. When we last visited Ulverston it was typical Lake Dist. weather but a visit to the Laurel and Hardy Museum soon cheered us up!
    Lovely images Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Ulverston a couple of times and was lucky with the weather as it seems you were too. Did you know that Stan Laurel lived in the North East for a few years before moving to Glasgow? My Grandad was born and raised in North Shields and Stan Laurel attended the King's School For Boys (a private school) for some time in nearby Tynemouth. I remember my Grandad saying that he had met Stan a few times. They were the same age. Tynemouth is generally considered part of the postal area of North Shields. (I lived in Tynemouth for a few years) I have three young members of my family who also attended the King's School there. Just an interesting tidbit I thought you might like. :)

    ReplyDelete